Part P of the Building Regulations and electrical work in your house


Part P was introduced in 2005 with the aim of reducing the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations.  It also introduced self certification schemes such as ELECSA to assess contractors as a “competent person” to make it harder for “cowboy” contractors to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition. 


As a property owner, you should be aware of your legal responsibilities when having any electrical work completed in your house.  You are able to meet these responsibilities under the Building Regulations by ensuring that certain works (known as notifiable works) are notified to your local authority Building Control department.  Alternatively, you can use a contractor registered with an approved self assessment scheme such as ELECSA.  ELECSA Approved Contractors are regularly assessed by ELECSA as meeting the standards laid down by government guidelines and can self certify their work as meeting the Building Regulations. 


By choosing to use an ELECSA Approved Contractor, you can be assured that your work will be notified to the relevant local authority on your behalf.  ELECSA will be notified of what and where the work was done and then they will notify the local authority and send you a Building Compliance certificate.  You will almost certainly need this certificate at a later date (such as when selling your house) so please keep it in a safe place. 


ELECSA is owned by the industry’s leading trade association, the Electrical Contractor’s Association through its independent certification subsidiary.  ECA Certification Ltd.  ELECSA is a government approved organisation providing assessment services for contractors working in domestic properties.  They are also independently assessed to ensure that they are operating to the highest standards so you can be confident that ELECSA Approved Contractors are equally assessed to the highest standards.  For more information please visit their website